Areas of Practice

Shalimar, Florida, Child Custody Attorney

Fort Walton Beach Child Visitation Lawyer

Although the legal terms, custody and primary residential parent, have been eliminated from Florida law the issue of when a child will be with each parent remains. This is perhaps the most divisive issue facing parents going through a divorce. It is important that both parents stay active and involved in their child’s life, but coming to an agreement on the specifics can be a lengthy, expensive, and exhausting experience. It takes patience and a willingness to compromise to create a lasting and effective parenting plan-but a diligent and skilled child custody lawyer can make the process move along more smoothly.

I have been litigating custody cases for most of my 21 years as an attorney, not only as a private practitioner but also as a court-appointed advocate for children and a attorney for the Florida Department of Children and Families. I understand the pitfalls that parents often encounter when trying to maintain custody of their children. In court, custody is often about maintaining the status quo, and temporary custody decisions-especially ones related to allegations of domestic violence-can become permanent with little warning. Often a parent will choose to forego an attorney for a restraining order hearing, only to find, months later, that their right to spend time with their child had practically been decided at that hearing. If you are concerned about your ability to spend time with your children after your divorce has settled, contact me to discuss your case.

Our firm helps clients with the following child custody and visitation issues:

  • Temporary custody
  • Joint legal custody
  • Parenting plan creation and modification
  • Military custody issues
  • Restraining orders

Whether you want to establish an equitable parenting plan that allows both parents to be a part of your child’s life, or you are concerned about the effect that a restraining order may have on your ability to spend time with your child, contact my firm to schedule an initial consultation about your case.